An unexpected pregnancy can be difficult if expanding your family is not a part of your immediate plan. It’s understandable to feel unsure of the next steps as you consider options like abortion.
You owe it to yourself to research the risks and advantages of all your options to make an informed choice.
What Can Disqualify Me from the Abortion Pill?
The abortion pill is FDA-approved up to 10 weeks of gestational age; however, abortion is only legal in Georgia up to 6 weeks so it’s imperative to get an ultrasound to know the age of your pregnancy.
At PRC Medical, we offer no-cost services such as an ultrasound.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) or untreated vaginal infection
- Have a clotting disorder, or anemia
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care
- Have an allergy to the medicine used
- Unsure of your blood type
Medical abortion causes cramping and vaginal bleeding to complete the abortion. However, the level of both and feelings of discomfort will vary from person to person.
What are the Side Effects?
According to the Mayo Clinic, medical abortion may also cause:
What Are the Risks?
The Mayo Clinic lists the following risks of medical abortion:
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
PRC Medical offers no-cost ultrasounds and pregnancy testing, providing information on your pregnancy’s viability, age, and location.
This important health screening can help to clarify your options by ruling out risks like an ectopic pregnancy or a natural miscarriage.